Sunday, October 4, 2020

The disappointment of losing big fish

 The past few weeks, I've been experimenting with longer flies. 

Three hooks,




versus two.

 


2017 caught a very big (probably biggest) fish on a triple. Didn't do it much after that.

Double this year--bigger fish.

Brand new triple this morning on glass water. First drift -- huge linesider. HUGE. Splashin and fightin

Pulled line through my hands, took some drag on flyreel. Then I kept pressure but I think I was ham fisted. Went light--lost it!

Also lost the big fish I caught on a triple in 2017.

Also lost a really big fish (on spinning gear) in Florida last year. June 2019.

Big fish are my nemesis.

 

I do wonder if the poorly trimmed back hook was the problem. Did I hook it on the trimmed back hook (Frankly I doubt it. All but two of the two dozen stripers I've landed have been on the front when I've had a tandem setup with both hooks untrimmed.) 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment