Monday, October 26, 2020

How to Lose Fish

 Yes. It is easy to do.

Sometimes there is no good excuse. It is just in the heat of the moment forgetting one simple rule: If you lose a fish, always check the hook. It might be bent.

I caught a lot of 12 to 18" fish-- small schools on the move-- and then I had one that would have been better but not on for long. 

Turns out the reason I lost 4 more was this:


I guess that fish was bigger than I thought!

I had been catching near keepers (and lost one keeper) on white ones tied this way--but I ended up trimming off all but the lead 3/0 hook. As a friend says, "big bass never miss" which turned to be true--only larger ones were caught--and a few obviously smaller ones lost--I'd feel hits that didn't hook up.

This black one I debarbed the trailer--which is a #1.ALL the smaller bass took that trailer the past few sessions. Only 18"+ took the lead hook. That might be chance. Most but not all trolling. I did sight cast to 4 landings a few days previous.

Nice to be out fishing. But better luck next time--and check the fly!



No comments:

Post a Comment