Sunday, September 27, 2020

Lost Rod

 Two weeks ago the striped bass returned. I have been trolling and sometimes casting either a white tandem deceiver or a black tandem deceiver. With the exception of one evening, all the fish were caught on the white ones, regardless of light level or sink versus floating line (sink gives about 12" depth at troll).

But yesterday I did something stupid. I brought three (3) rods with me on the boat. Not a good idea. After half a century of rowing, I capsized a rowboat for the first time--and lost the most expensive newest and nicest rod and reel: a St. Croix 7' and a Daiwa BG20. Damn it all! I was fly trolling the flyrods and didn't lose them. The spinning rod was along for the ride with an experiment tied on--a naked popping plug with flies behind--wanted to try.

This was of course a depressing experience. I trolled the area for two hours trying to find it. Good luck with that.

Fortunately, I went fishing afterwards and found a 27" bass (almost a keeper!) and sight cast to a fluke that was actually rising. It also took the white tandem deceiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment