Monday, May 14, 2018

Great Evening of Fly Fishing!

Wow!

Caught a new species.
Yes, it's a minnow. But I'd never caught this kind of minnow before. I'm entranced. There were a lot of perch in spawning mode, too:


 And there were plenty of trout. But getting any of these species to actually bite took some doing. They were exuberantly splashing, feeding, and defending territory, but quite selective.

I caught the small perch first. That took only 5 minutes, using one of my red/green "candycane" flies. But I got impatient after following up with it for a while. So I changed flies. I figured the small grey ghost would take more perch. Nope. So I went to the midge with the orange tail that worked yesterday. It did get hit--but couldn't hook up--until I found the minnow. Then it found nothing else. I then went to my little black fly. Nothing. With weight. Nothing.

Then I put on a sulfur. And dead drifted it patiently. You could see that some swirls were clearly from bigger fish. I saw one particular circulation going on and put dead drifts over it. Soon enough I got a touch. Some minutes again but hooked up! That was the first trout, and he / she found a snag after a good long fight--as I was pulling it to the final approach. It went under the snag and when I waded out to clear it, I was hooked to the snag and the fish was gone--clever fish!

The sulphur got no more love so I impatiently went to one of my deadly inventions" a #16 maribou streamer. How can you have such a small streamer? Well, attitude and method. It caught three trout. The first one, I had been dead drifting it -- and there was a big splash over where I had the fly, so I lifted--and hooked--and it was a tough fight. Well no wonder--I snagged the pectoral fin!


Here's the video of it:
https://youtu.be/nlm4uXnFa6Q

The next two I took when I tired of trying dead drifts, and started tiny jerk strips. No rod movement, just an inch at a time. That worked wonders. Got a really beautiful one this way next:








Vide is better than the photos:

The final one was in pitch black and fished exactly the same way.

As I reeled up my line, I hooked up a fifth but it got off quickly.

So satisfying!




No comments:

Post a Comment