Saturday, May 12, 2018

A couple hours, a couple fish

 Another nice day fishing on Friday. I used my own flies in every case. Extremely satisfying to catch multiple fish on your own gear. That brook char was on my home river. The brown below was on a nearby "Trout Park."  I put it back. I feel sheepish about harvesting from a trout park during the season (when you can drive in). Even with a busted up toe that makes me almost qualify, HA!











And here's one my friend caught on Thursday:



We were at his club. They stock their private pond. The fish are exceptional--pink flesh like a wild fish. The most delicious farmed fish I've ever eaten. The rainbow is on the left, the brook trout on the right and a largemouth is in the middle-upper, under the salad.















Today (Saturday) I snuck out in the rain, on the way back from the hardware store. I found a pond I never knew existed! The blue rod wrap #16 soft hackle I "invented" this winter did the trick:









Then along comes a cold rainy Sunday. And while sitting around all day trying to heal my badly sprained big toe and foot, I finally can't take it any longer. I head out to an easy to get to pool.

It only took a dozen casts on my #15 midge with the orange bucktail to find a stocked brook trout.
But a friend showed up and he found a darkly colored little 7" trout. That is exciting because it may be wild!









We spent another hour and eventually cracked the code on all the swirls in the pool. They were mostly not trout--they were yellow perch. It is spawning season here for them. We both caught sub 5" ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment