Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Osprey Found the Pool

Went for a brief fish this afternoon again!

Started out in the upper pool this time, casting around this downed tree (this is looking downriver):

And casting across into and beyond the seam and up into the riffle:




I started out on my weird fly, on the 3 weight:









I worked the whole water, starting in close, then I put one splitshot and repeated, worked everywhere, then finally added a 1/16th oz shot and yet again. Not even a nibble.

So I did the same thing on my green wooly bugger with the yellow tinsel. Got nothing. See last entry for a brown trout caught on this fly.

Finally, I put on my weird jig version of this fly. Remember that yesterday I caught and lost a fish on this in this same pool, on the first cast.














It took me a few more minutes to hook up, This one came out of the end of the riffle. Same spot that I hooked up yesterday on the same jig!









Here's a movie of the action:




I then tried the downriver pool, starting out casting sneaky under the bridge. I saw one brook trout in there. Nobody wanted to come out. And I got nothing and saw no rises around the tree either.

There was a big stonefly hatch going on:



But perhaps the biggest news was the osprey. I wonder if his obvious presence had put the fish down. At one point he dove off that tree headfirst into the water!









No comments:

Post a Comment