Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Fly Experiments

I tied some flies which are may be a bit strident. But they worked.
The first ones I called "candycanes"because of the red/green stripes. I did some variations with and without hackle. I also tied a bright pink hackled royal coachman. Both of these--especially the first--proved exceptionally attractive to redbreast sunfish.







So I followed that up the next day with a set of really wild green flies. I think I'll call the red middled one the chartreuse buzzer. It is really just a "Bibio" fly re-imagined. (Thanks Dietrich for the Bibio enthusiasm:):






When I fished them, only one of them proved useful for the stocked rainbows--the chartreuse buzzer (need a catchier name)--but it turned out to be the most attractive--moreso than even the tried and trusty wooly bugger.

What was in the stomach?  Hemlock leaves! Tons of them! The mixture of green and brown leaves looks suspiciously similar to this fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment