Sunday, November 19, 2017

Five for Five

Rainbows are the stock of choice for fall stockings in Connecticut.

My local river received some a few weeks ago, and there are some very good fish in some spots. One in particular has been a lot of fun to work repeatedly. Each afternoon I've gone, I've caught one trout. I only ate one of them (see "Oh, The Irony"); I intended to eat a second but it had other ideas.

The most rewarding thing is that they took my own wooly bugger flies. I even caught one on a spinning rig. Yes, my elbow is still not up to casting. I've got a problem there that needs some serious attention.

These fish are 11" to 14" and all of them are good looking fish, but I think they are very hungry. The one I ate had very little in its stomach--but did have a few bugs. 

One day I walked the stream for about a mile and I threw bread flake in at spots--and got some reaction! That was fun. I'm going to do that again. I did this without the rod--just out on a walk with the dog. If I chum with bread and then follow up with flies am I really fly fishing? Haha.




The best part was fishing with my son today. We switched rods and then I caught one. He was supposed to be the lucky one today. Next time:-)






No comments:

Post a Comment