Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Striped Bass Flies

I tie my own versions of two fly styles , what are commonly known as:

Clousers (designed by Bob Clouser)

Lefty's Deceivers (Designed by Lefty Kreh)


Mine are not tied the way they do it.

Mine are simpler and uglier and more durable.

They really aren't any different except for feathers--"deceivers" have feathers, clousers are really just bucktails.

A range of sizes all work, from #1 through 6/0. I even tie on jig hooks when I want a deep running bait imitation.






This is just a small selection. I tie them in many colors, with both lead eyes and without. All the actual flies in this particular pile caught fish this past season.

Probably my "signature" is the use of dubbing to make a body. Sometimes I palmer hackle instead. The biggest structural change over the clouser is I do not pull the bucktail over the eyes. That is a disaster. They always break there prematurely leaving an unsightly tuft that catches seaweed and loosens the eyes and the whole thing falls apart. If you tie the eyes on last, this does not happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment