Friday, February 9, 2018

Making Up New Fly Patterns Is FUN

This week has been "Week of the Trout Management Area."

Last week was the last time I had any takes on the non-catch/release section of my local river. It happens to be that that section is closer to home. But I just can't stop fishing--and needing to catch a fish--so starting with Super Bowl Sunday, I've made attempts at the TMA.  4 days total. Yesterday (Thursday) was a skunking but I saw three trout, in two locations. The previous day I fished (Mon? Wed? I can't remember) I got one take, a very brief fight, and then lost it. And of course on Super Bowl Sunday I caught one and then lost it--on the black headed minnow streamer I devised below.

This morning, I started out going with my newest streamer pattern again--the minnow shape but a newer copy that I neglected to photo. It looked mostly like the lower one except only two rather than four peacocks, no dot dot dot flash, and less mallard flank bulk:



Sadly, I lost it somewhere in a cast at the first pool--the one I spooked two trout out of yesterday.

So I went into my box and found another fly I made up. Here it is, shortly after I caught the fish:

It is tied on an eagle claw size 10 smooth shank bait hook (offset bend) and the body is chartreuse ordinary acrylic yarn. I think I put nonlead wrap down first. It is a "nymph" because it has no hackle--I guess. But it doesn't change how I fish it--however I damn well want to!

 It was a perfect case of location and casting. There is a plunge pool with a waterfall just up 30 feet from a good vantage point. Plenty of back cast space for a 20 foot back cast, so I cast and shot line to put the fly right into the waterfall. I did this four times. The last time, I had that classic feeling of a snag while starting to get ready for a retrieve--and it was a fish!

I am glad I remembered my net. Being a catch/release section, and knowing that there are a number of people who pester this fish (including me) its--their--survival depends on being delicate with them. I was able to keep the fish substantially in the water, and the hook fell out without me touching the fish. When I saw it loose, I lowered the net into the water and the fish simply swam out of the net.

The videos are unedited and sequential. Because I don't have a helmet-cam, as usual there is no footage of the initial strike and fish fight, which is unfortunate, as it was memorably good.




No comments:

Post a Comment