Monday, December 11, 2017

Variations on a Theme

Yesterday (Sunday) I tied some variations on the Candycane.
But one I had already tied--but not fished--with simply a golden pheasant tail and a mallard wing, and hackle in chartreuse instead of white, fooled a small rainbow on its first cast:

flickr video: Small Rainbow





I also hooked into two others before this, on a #16 hook of the same pattern, but lost them. Had two other bumps. It is funny--I changed because I figured I was flubbing the takes. And yet the past few sessions I went down to #16 and did better. Who knows.

Then I changed pools and on the 2nd cast got into a really pretty native:


flickr video: Pickerel



It was classic! As I was stripping my fly through the water to prepare for another cast, a wake appeared out in the middle of the pool and so I kept the fly in the water, moving towards the bank, until the fish took it. And it really swallowed. I was lucky I didn't gut hook it. You can't see the fly because it took it tail first and the head of the fly is over 1/4" aft of the left corner of the mouth.

Interestingly when I first arrived and started walking down to the stream, I saw that I disturbed something along the shallows that swam out to deeper water. It was probably this pickerel.

Here's the fly--the top one in this photo (you can see this in a previous post as well, with all the candycanes):



No comments:

Post a Comment