Tuesday, September 5, 2017

In the search for native brook trout







Finding native brook trout is not easy. So far, I haven't been successful in CT. Not that I have found lots of streams. The trick is finding possible candidates, with public access, and somewhere to park.

On Saturday I went to one such place.

I never found the trout, but boyoboy did I find tiny bluegills! I think I broke my record for smallest fish caught on a fly.

At the end of the day I switched to #24 flies. Truly tiny. And the littlest fish became nearly the exclusive prey. As I waded up the brook, I'd feel the faintest of takes. Most I lost before landing. It is very hard to both feel a take and hook a fish on such small lures. I used 5x tippet. This was actually thick for this purpose but I basically can't handle smaller.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32459531@N06/36823417156/in/dateposted/

I even caught a baby largemouth bass--on a royal coachman fished wet--size 18 pattern:

When it was time to pack up, I took one last photo from the pond that feeds the brook:

No comments:

Post a Comment